Teaching & Mentoring
Teaching Assistant, Department of Biology, University of Akron
- Principles of Biology II Lab, Spring 2017, 2019, 2020
- Vertebrate Zoology Lab, Fall 2019
- Foundations of Physiology Lab I, Fall 2017, 2018
- Herpetology, Summer 2018
- Digital Skills for Biologists (combined undergraduate and graduate course), Spring 2018, 2019
- Human Anatomy and Physiology Lab I, Summer 2017
- General Ecology, Fall 2016
- Biomimetic Design (combined graduate and undergraduate course), Fall 2016
Students and professor, Dr. Francisco (Paco) Moore, from the University of Akron Herpetology class during Summer 2018. Course included field trips to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Kelleys Island, and Mohican State Park.
- Gecko Biology and Adhesion: Beyond Saving You Money on Car Insurance, Biomimetic Design, Fall 2017
- The Gecko Adhesive System: An Adaptation for an Arboreal Lifestyle, General Ecology, Fall 2016
- The Gecko Adhesive System: A Sticky Solution for All Sorts of Problems, Biomimetic Design, Fall 2016
I have mentored 9 undergraduate students and 3 high school students during my Ph.D.
|Austin Keith||Alexis Schnarrenberger|
|Alexandra Tomasko||Alexandra Pamfilie|
|Caitlin Wright||Joshua Taylor|
|EJ Hamad||Rachael Kindig|
High School Students
|Benjamin Sprenger||Nyle Garg|
(Left) Undergraduate mentee, Alexandra Pamfilie, presents her poster on substrate preference behavior in Tokay geckos at the 2019 SICB Annual Meeting in Tampa Bay, FL in a session complementary to a symposium on gecko adhesion. (Right) Gecko research team from the University of Akron in Mo’orea, French Polynesia for the field course, Tropical Vertebrate Zoology. First row (L to R): Colleen Unsworth, Joshua Taylor, Rachael Kindig. Second row (L to R): EJ Hamad, Austin Garner, Alexandra Pamfilie, Dr. Petra Gruber, and Dr. Peter Niewiarowski.
Undergraduate mentee, Austin Keith, presents a poster of his honors thesis investigating the effect of running orientation on gecko locomotion at the SICB 2018 Annual Meeting in San Francisco, CA.
University of Akron Biology undergraduate students, Alex Tomasko, Alexis Schnarrenberger, and Austin Keith (left to right), present posters of their honors theses in the Second Annual Norbert Thompson Biology Undergraduate Research Symposium.